Preparing the way for emacs22 with many individual package updates

Michael Olson mwolson at gnu.org
Wed Jul 4 23:54:37 BST 2007

esr at thyrsus.com (Eric S. Raymond) writes:

> Note: I tried emacs-snapshot, and would be using it now except that
> it doesn't seem to play nice with emacsclient.  Consider this a
> minor bug report.

Make sure that the /etc/alternatives/emacsclient points to
/usr/bin/emacsclient.emacs-snapshot (and likewise for emacsclient.1.gz).
This can also be achieved by running the following as root:

  update-alternatives --config emacsclient

If it gives a message like "Nothing to configure" (which happens if you
have only one variant of emacs on your system), then do the following
to double-check the link:

  update-alternatives --auto emacsclient

This updates both emacsclient and emacsclient.1.gz.

--
       Michael Olson -- FSF Associate Member #652     |
 http://mwolson.org/ -- Jabber: mwolson_at_hcoop.net  |  /` |\ | | |