Use based meta packages

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Mon Jul 2 12:23:48 BST 2007

hi,
Am Montag, den 02.07.2007, 11:46 +0100 schrieb Jono Bacon:
> So, imagine I install "kubuntu-kde-devel", it would pull in
> build-essential, kdevelop, qt-dev, unit testing software, kdbg and
> various other tools to allow KDE development, but also configure Firefox
> so there is a toolbar bookmark to the Qt online docs as an example.
> Imagine a use case was "embedded development" - the package could
> install and configure cross-compilation tools, which are traditionally a
> real pain to set up.
>
> If this is doable, it could open up Ubuntu and Kubuntu to really
> interesting use cases, which are a pinch to set up. Then imagine we
> allow the community to create these meta-packages (with a process to
> ensure quality), we could have a little GUI application which could
> browse a bunch of these use cases and install the relevant package for
> that use case.
>
> There is every possibility I am smoking crack with this idea, but I
> wanted to get your feedback before it gets forgotten in the mist.
Jordan Mantha is working on this since some time for the
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/EdubuntuAddonEnhancements spec which tries to
add a kind of edu-meta categories to gnome-app-install hand in hand with
task driven metapackages. indeed thats specific to the edubuntu addon
cd, but the principle can be used for any other configuration as well i
suppose.

ciao
	oli