Need help packaging MMS (My Media System) and get it into ubuntu

Soren Hansen sh at linux2go.dk
Thu Jan 11 10:29:01 GMT 2007

On Thu, Jan 11, 2007 at 08:55:34AM +0100, Roman Müllenschläder wrote:
> > > As ZhengPeng Hou does not react anymore, I do need a new sponsor
> > > helping out in packaging MMS ... is one willing to do that?
> > I just gave it a try, and it seems simple enough. I just need to
> > make the install scripts create a separate user for it. Give me
> > another day or so.
> Did you try the deb or sources I created and which can be found on
> www.prodeia.de/mms ?

Er.. No. :-) I figured that since you were asking for help, no packages
existed already.

> Why simple enough?

Well, without much trouble I managed to create a package containing a
full mms installation.

> We just need to create some separate packages ... I could imagine
> building 'mms-common' and some 'mms-desired-output' as MMS is able to
> deal with various outputs (f.i. SDL, DXR3, FF-DVB).

Sounds sensible.

> And why do we need a separate user? It won't run as daemon so it
> should be fine running without creating a user ... !?

The install target creates directories in /var/lib and /var/cache and I
don't see it as an option to allow all users full access to those
directories, so the obvious choice to me seemed to be to run it as a
new, separate user.  The separate user will be made the owner of the
relevant directories under /var and his .Xsession would be set to start
mms on login. That way, all that would have to be done in order to use
mms in a set top box setup, would be to let the display manager
automatically log in the mms user.

> Could you tell me about the needed steps to get it into debian/buntu?

It's quite simple. Create the package, upload it to REVU, have it
appoved and then someone will upload it.

> It by far seems to be a problem on this list to deal with
> transparency,  particiption and cooperation ... or is that just my
> feeling?

The process for getting a new package into Ubuntu is described on
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MOTU/Packages/New .  A lot of effort has been
put into making things transparent.  If you have anything concrete that
you feel is not transparent enough, feel free to point it out and we'll
do our best to fix it.

--
| Soren Hansen    | Linux2Go                  | http://Linux2Go.dk/ |
| Seniorkonsulent | Lindholmsvej 42, 2. TH    | +45 46 90 26 42     |