zeroinstall-injector

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Tue Jan 9 22:53:04 GMT 2007

hi,
On Di, 2007-01-09 at 22:35 +0000, Thomas Leonard wrote:
> If universe has stricter checks, we could use that keyring too for the
> hints ("This key is approved by MOTU" / "MOTU has not approved this key -
> USE AT OWN RISK!").
do you really expect people to read that popups ? by experience i'd say
the typical user just ignores it since she wants to test or use that
software she just found ...

if the system doesnt work as expected anymore for her, she'll complain
about ubutu being broken and will give us a hard time to debug that ...

the result will be similar to automatix that trashes your system and
makes users complain about ubuntu where ubuntu isnt at fault...

i personally think its a very very bad idea to provide tools like klick,
autopackage or zeroinstall in distros that have a package management
sytem like dpkg and rpm and rely on the consistency of the package
database, md5sums for config files etc ... (the approach is fine but it
works very contrary to the distribution sytem thats used in most linux
distros (dependencies etc) ... by design that must break at some
point ...)

if MOTU want to take that responsibilty and take care for the resulting
bugreports thats fine ... if not i'd suggest to not include it ...

ciao
	oli