zeroinstall-injector

Reinhard Tartler siretart at tauware.de
Tue Jan 9 21:41:56 GMT 2007

"Thomas Leonard" <talex5 at gmail.com> writes:

> I think you'll find the security model is rather different in Zero Instal=
l.

> In particular, it should never "break" a user account, since it only
> ever writes to the directories ~/.config/0install.net
> and ~/.cache/0install.net (which I presume Ubuntu isn't using for anything
> else ;-).

Err, that's fair enough. My concern is rather, that code from
unknown/unauthorized 3rd parties is executed, so the perfect way to
inject trojan or other malware.

>> Furthermore, I have some security concerns (who validates/authorizes a
>> signature from one upstream).
>
> The user installing the software, assisted by a "hints" database of known
> keys. While you can try to protect users from installing malware, at the
> end of the day it *is* their computer, and they have to make the final
> judgement.

Where do these 'known' keys come from? Who authorizes these keys?

> Please let me know if you have any other concerns.

Well, in ubuntu, the archives key come from the installation media. I
have the concern that it may seem that including 0install could imply
that we 'authorize' other 3rd party software. I fear that we'll get
bugreports from 3rd party software by users, who have installed random
software via 0install, and that we will not be able to support them.

--
Gruesse/greetings,
Reinhard Tartler, KeyID 945348A4