Minutes for Fri, Feb 23rd, 2007 MOTU Council meeting

Daniel T. Chen crimsun at fungus.sh.nu
Fri Feb 23 12:31:10 GMT 2007

Hi folks,

The first MOTU Council (MC) meeting has convened and concluded, and its
minutes are posted at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MOTU/Council/Meetings/2007-02-23 . (All MC
meeting minutes are linked from
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MOTU/Council/Meetings/Minutes .) For brevity,
only proposals and decisions are listed on the wiki page.

The next MC meeting is scheduled for Friday, Mar 16th, 10.00h UTC in
#ubuntu-meeting on irc.freenode.net.

Included below is additional context for today's meeting:

agendum 1: new source package policy
  proposal: drop current requirement of 2 ACKs for new source packages
from ubuntu-dev members
  decision: unanimous approval
  context:
05:15 < sistpoty> as I brought up the proposal, +1 from me
05:15 < ajmitch> eg I don't think I'd expect a new MOTU to go & package
up FDS without getting some help ;)
05:15 < ajmitch> +1 from here
05:15 < sistpoty> ok, great... let's move on then ;)
05:15 < crimsun> +1 for dropping the 2 ACK requirement for new source
packages for ubuntu-dev members
05:16 < dholbach> +1 from me also
05:16 < gpocentek> and +1 from me

agendum 2: exceptions for new source packages during feature freeze
  proposal: have motu-uvf LP team consider FF exception requests up
until beta freeze (~Mar 15)
  decision: unanimous approval
  context:
05:27 < sistpoty> +1 here
05:27 < dholbach> Ok, let's cast our votes for "Until Beta Freeze the
motu-uvf team will consider NEW packages after they went through
successful reviews and decide if they're worthwhile to have or not."
05:28 < crimsun> +1
05:28 < dholbach> +1 from me too
05:28 < ajmitch> +1
05:28 < gpocentek> +1

agendum 3: 'hard freeze' for universe in the last week of the feisty
cycle
  proposal: during the last week of feisty cycle, require 1 ACK from an
motu-uvf member prior to uploading source
  decision: unanimous approval
  context:
05:34 < sistpoty> +1 here as well
05:34 < ajmitch> unanimous would take too much
05:34 < dholbach> I personally think that one should be enough
05:34 < ajmitch> just 1
05:34 < gpocentek>  /me agrees
05:34 < crimsun> right, I concur

agendum 3a: motu-uvf LP team maintenance
  proposal: expand motu-uvf to 5 members (from its current 3)
  decision: 4 in favor, 1 neutral
  context:
05:37 < crimsun> +1 for expanding motu-uvf to 5
05:37 < dholbach> +1 for 5 too
05:38 < sistpoty> +-0... I'm happy with 4 or 5 equally
05:38 < ajmitch> ok, +1 on keeping the freeze process as we said & +1 on
motu-uvf to 5
05:38 < gpocentek> +1 for 5

Andrew & Daniel C. will join motu-uvf
  context:
05:38 < crimsun> I'm happy to join motu-uvf for this cycle
05:39  * ajmitch doesn't mind either way
05:39 < dholbach> thanks crimsun, thanks ajmitch
05:39 < dholbach> I'll add you to the team

agendum 4: MOTU LP team cleanup
  proposal: turn ownership of the MOTU LP team over to the Ubuntu
Technical Board (TB)
  decision: 4 in favor, 1 neutral
  context:
05:49 < ajmitch> +1 for turning motu over to TB, and adding
universe-bugs
05:49 < sistpoty> +1 here for ajmitch's proposal
05:49 < dholbach> +1 from me too - although universe-bugs needs more
discussion
05:50 < gpocentek> +& for me as well
05:50 < crimsun> in terms of work required, does it require less work to
keep ubuntu-dev and drop motu?
05:50 < gpocentek> +1 even

Stefan will initiate the cleanup

agendum 5: gracefully handling developer (MOTU) "timeout"
  proposal: ask inactive developers every half a year (if they have not
been sufficiently visible)
  decision: unanimous approval
  context:
06:02 < sistpoty> I guess it might make sense to contact them first and
ask if they plan to do some work in the future. maybe we can thus even
reactivate lost motu's ;)
06:02 < ajmitch> yeah
06:02 < dholbach> I like that idea too.
06:03 < dholbach> and in the same mail we should point out that it's no
problem to be "deactivated" for a while, as it helps us to understand
where we stand, and that it's also no problem to re-apply
06:04 < gpocentek> this sounds good to me
06:04 < ajmitch> ok
06:04 < sistpoty> yep
06:04 < crimsun> +1 for daniel's proposal
06:04 < sistpoty> +1

Daniel H., Andrew, and Gauvain will process ubuntu-dev (soon to migrate
[back] to motu) as proposed above

agendum 6: schedule next MOTU meeting
  proposal: Mar 6th 20.00h UTC
  decision: 4 in favor, 1 absent (Gauvain had prior commitment)
  context:
06:12 < crimsun> how is 20:00 UTC?
06:13 < dholbach> works for me
06:13  * ajmitch can probably make that
06:13 < sistpoty> fine with me
06:13 < dholbach> alrighty.... Mar, 6th, 20:00 UTC MOTU meeting

fixed item 1: schedule next MOTU Council meeting
  proposal: Mar 16th 10.00h UTC
  decision: 4 in favor, 1 absent (Gauvain had prior commitment)
  context:
06:14 < dholbach> MOTU Council meeting
06:14 < ajmitch> well we still have 2 fixed items
06:14 < ajmitch> I put the todo lists in the fixed item area, and
agreeing on a MC meeting time
06:15 < dholbach> Mar 16th would be 3 weeks from now on
06:16 < dholbach> shall we make that 10:00 UTC again?
06:16 < crimsun> sure
06:16 < ajmitch> fine by me, crimsun?
06:16 < crimsun> (I can manage 5 AM ok :)
06:17 < sistpoty> well... middle of the night, but ok *g*

fixed item 2: MOTU/TODO updates
06:19 < dholbach>  * review Universe/Multiverse bugs with patches
attached (add link here)
06:19 < dholbach>  * review Debian RC fixes
06:20 < dholbach>  * look at UnmetDeps list (maybe file bugs again)
06:20 < ajmitch> ah yes
06:20  * ajmitch was going to do a mass bugfile for unmet deps
06:20 < dholbach> (* ask for rebuild test - ask for transitions that
have not happened yet -> ubuntu-devel-discuss@)
06:20 < sistpoty> * packagtes that FTBFS (list from lucas)
06:20  * ajmitch adds to tomorrow's TODO
06:21 < dholbach>  * generally fix universe/multiverse bugs
06:21 < dholbach>  * tag bugs as 'bitesize' and 'packaging'

Thanks on behalf of the MOTU Council,
Daniel Chen