~motu-sru team

Daniel Holbach daniel.holbach at ubuntu.com
Tue Dec 11 08:57:19 GMT 2007

Hello Scott,

On Mo, 2007-12-10 at 12:45 -0500, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> I would have preferred (and did expect) someone from the MC to write the list
> and say something along the lines of:
>
> Here are the people who've volunteered...
>
> We'll be taking a decision on date X.  Please let us know on the list (or in
> private if needed) any comments you might have.

I agree that a timely action plan for such votes is needed. For the next
voting process we should have defined time-spans for nominations,
general input and coming to a final decision.

> I'd also like to see such decisions taken transparently in a public forum.

What I personally want to avoid is to have public discussions about the
merits of volunteers as they rarely do good. Giving input and sharing
concerns is all fine and important (also a demonstration of how much you
care about MOTU), but discussing the qualities (or lack thereof)
of people who volunteer to do good work is likely to put people off.

> I'm not a fan of secret decision making in FOSS projects.

This makes it look much worse than it actually is.

Have a nice day,
 Daniel