Uploading random new upstream releases considered harmful

Jérémie Corbier jcorbier at ubuntu.com
Sat Aug 25 00:37:41 BST 2007

Hi guys,

I know Universe is supposed to be a place where we provide bleeding edge
versions and crackful softwares but I believe it doesn't mean we can upload
without caring about whether the package works or not.

A few days ago, someone realized that xmlrpc-c was running a little behind
upstream releases in Gutsy and decided to package the latest version.  Fine.

What really pissed me off though is that the updated package was totally broken
(shipped nothing but /usr/share/doc/<package>/copyright and friends).  What
pissed me off even more is that the sponsor uploaded the package as is and fixed
a FTBFS on amd64 in a -0ubuntu2 version which had the same problem [0].  Last
but not least, it looks like xmlrpc-c quite changed between the 0.9 series and
the current one... [1]

Could people *please* be a little more careful when it comes to new upstream
releases, especially libraries?

Cheers,

--
Jeremie