Using Tags in Debian Bugs

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Thu Aug 23 16:33:31 BST 2007

On Thursday 23 August 2007 10:57, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> On 23/08/07 at 09:41 -0400, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> > On Thursday 23 August 2007 04:05, Daniel Holbach wrote:
> > > Hello everybody,
> > >
> > > Lucas Nussbaum explains in
> > > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/Debian/Usertagging how to make use of
> > > Debian User Tags. It will make it easier to track the origin of bugs
> > > and patches. Thanks for that Lucas.
> > >
> > > So if your work-flow comprises of forwarding patches to Debian using
> > > Debian bug reports, please check out the link above and make use of
> > > them.
> >
> > Are those tags agreed to by anyone in Debian (does Debian policy support
> > their use)?
> >
> > Myself, I think that submissions to the Debian BTS should be based on
> > Debian policy, not unilateral Ubuntu policy, so I wanted to check and
> > see.
>
> Those tags are usertags, not "normal", global tags: everybody is free to
> add their own usertags on the Debian BTS, with the meaning one choose.
> There are only visible if you know the "user" for which the tags are added.

SIgh.

On your wiki page, 3 of the 4 reasons for using usertags are predicated on
other people see them:

"When submitting bugs to Debian, it is recommended to use BTS usertags. This
has several advantages:

    * It allows to keep track of them.
    * It will help showing Debian that Ubuntu contributes to Debian.
    * It might help showing Debian that some Debian developers are not being
helpful (ignoring patches for a long time).
    * The fact that bugs are visibly tracked could make Debian developers
integrate patches faster."

The fact is, Ubuntu users/developers are NOT Debian users.

The bottom line motivation for this seems to be "showing Debian" and not being
helpful members of the Debian ecosphere.

All in all, I don't see this being helpful in promoting a positive
relationship with Debian.  I see it (based on what's in the wiki page) being
predicated on proving Debian doubters about Ubuntu are wrong.

Either no one in Debian will see it and it won't accomplish your stated goals
or Debian people will see it and so we ought to coordinate with them first.

Scott K