Postinsts barfing when mysqld not running

Mathias Gug mathiaz at ubuntu.com
Mon Aug 20 21:35:08 BST 2007

Hi,

On Mon, Aug 20, 2007 at 12:48:39PM -0400, Barry deFreese wrote:

> > It's a valid configuration to have the database on an other host.
> > Therefore similar packages like simba depend only on a database client
> > (which will hopefully know where to reach the database) and suggest the
> > database server at best.
> >

> Right, again, poor choice of words.  I mean install a database server
> "somehwere".  I suppose it should be more descriptive that either
> connect to remote database or install local database.

I don't think that there is a big difference in a remote versus local
database (the latter is remote with localhost used as the hostname).

> What I was really looking for though was if this was even the correct
> approach to get around these issues.
>
> I suppose another option would be to prompt the user for 1. Connect to
> remote db 2. Use local db  3. Leave unconfigured but that just means
> more prompting that we don't like, no?

What you'd probably need to ask is the database configuration (such as
host, username, password to create the tables). Try to connect to the
database and fail graciously if it cannot connect.

--
Mathias