XSB-Url header for Upstream Homepages

Andy Price andy-price at ubuntu.com
Sun Aug 19 20:06:59 BST 2007

On 19/08/07 19:37, Reinhard Tartler wrote:
> Hi fellow ubuntu developers,
Hello Reinhard

> in the past, we have been adding Urls to the project homepages to the
> package description. ATM, there is a (small) debate if a XSB-Url header
> should be invented for this purpose.

Where is the debate? Do we get any background? :)

> How do you feel about that?

In the absence of the complete picture about the problem with the status
quo and how XSB-Url would fix that problem, I can only say that I've
never encountered a packaging problem with having the homepage URL in
the description so I don't think it should be changed.

Also, would we need to change every package we touch to use the new
field? That would be just yet another distraction - in my short time of
packaging I've had to deal with a few changes to control file policy[0]
and I'm tempted to say that if it would stop being a moving target and
get stable for a while, packaging might be a bit more fun and easier to
get right.

[0] Includes Python policy, XSBC-Original-Maintainer, the VCS fields, etc...

Regards,

--
Andy Price