Temporary REVU package storage

Barry deFreese bddebian at comcast.net
Sat Aug 18 16:06:09 BST 2007

Scott Kitterman wrote:
> On Saturday 18 August 2007 04:07, Neil Wilson wrote:
>
>> Sorry Scott, but we're going to have to disagree on that point.
>>
>> Fundamentally ubuntu development is based around launchpad, and you
>> have to get involved in that if you want to deal with bugs, upgrades
>> and the like.
>>

> I guess this is where we disagree and the rest follows.
>
> Ubuntu development is based around the Debian package management system.  LP
> is a tool used to support some aspects of the effort.
>
> Additionally, before you start demanding that I do things in the way that's
> easy for you, remember that I'm a volunteer.
>
> On a related note, I really don't think we need to make it easier to submit
> packages.  There were already far more packages uploaded than we have MOTUs
> (or hopefuls) to properly review.  Many of these packages were completely
> uncared for by the person that uploaded them.  In mid-July I went through
> REVU and commented on every package that hadn't been touched since May (6
> weeks) and asked if uploaders were still interested (it was several dozen,
> but I don't have the exact number) and got exactly one reply.
>
> More efficient/effective review tools are where our bottleneck is.
>
> Scott K

Neil and others,

I have to agree with Scott here for the most part.  You have to remember
that "community" development works both ways.  It's mighty easy to throw
a package up on REVU/LP/wherever and walk away.  It's another thing to
get it packaged properly, make sure it meets Debian/Ubuntu standards wrt
to licensing, packaging, dependencies, etc.  Starting with Edgy+ I was
trying my best to keep up with REVU and it could be a full time job in
itself.  Many of the packages don't even make sense for the
distribution.  They tend to be someones pet package who just think it
would be cool to see their name attached to some package in Ubuntu.

Look at LP right now.  There are over 75 bugs filed on packages already
in the archive that have newer upstream versions than Debian/Ubuntu
carry.  There are over 7,000 bugs filed against packages in Universe and
Multiverse.  Add to that hundreds of packages that possibly 1 individual
thinks should be added to the archive.  And this is all to be supported
by a few dozen volunteer MOTUs?  Many of whom have full-time RL
jobs/school/wives/husbands/girlfriends/boyfriends/children, etc.

Tell me how we are supposed to manage that?

Barry deFreese (aka bddebian)

"You can please some of the people some of the time...."