MOTU Mentoring

Daniel Holbach daniel.holbach at ubuntu.com
Tue Apr 24 07:51:59 BST 2007

Hello Micah,

Am Montag, den 23.04.2007, 09:18 -0700 schrieb Micah Cowan:
> I wonder if we can expand on the typical reasons why this happens.

Talking about my experience I exclude typical mistakes on the MOTU
hopefuls side:

      * I was mostly very busy with other things and didn't check back
        on the hopeful regularly.
      * Over the past year I got mails from around 50 different people
        who wanted to join in, and I replied to all of them. I mostly
        pointed them to documentation, but never really knew what they
        were working on.

I feel, we need some sort of guidelines pointing out best practises in
mentoring and we shouldn't be shy about saying "No, I've got too much to
do and I'm mentoring too many hopefuls already." and then take our
hopefuls seriously and check back regularly on them.

> >       * too much efforts wasted on re-inventing the wheel
> What wheels specifically are being reinvented?

In replying to your hopeful, you'll often find that he asks the same
questions as the one you mentored before. Our MOTU/FAQ page is pretty
empty and we're not actively feeding back information into the wiki.

Have a nice day,
 Daniel