Packages updates on REVU

João Pinto lamego.pinto at gmail.com
Sun Apr 22 22:28:01 BST 2007

Hello,
I hope that you also agree that is not very encouraging for a new packager
to submit a package to REVU and because he does not have enough patient to
keep on an IRC channel he waits 2 months to get a comment like "There is a
new upstream version" and no comments on all the packaging aspects that
maybe relevant for the package upgrade.
A few more weeks and a more experienced package maybe uploading it to
Debian, and eventually the work is lost.

Sorry but I will need to write a very negative comment, in my humble opinion
REVU is horrible, the application and the process, I can't help improving it
because I do have a different idea for software availability which does not
match with the Ubuntu release cycle.

Best regards.

2007/4/22, Scott Kitterman <ubuntu at kitterman.com>:

> On Sunday 22 April 2007 12:28, Lionel Le Folgoc wrote:
>
> > * So, how can we improve this?
> >
> > I think the REVU/wiki page has to be updated, to explicitely say:
> >
> "When-you-upload-a-package-go-on-#ubuntu-motu-and-cry-and-yell-until-you-ge
> >t-a-MOTU-to-review-it".
>
> I think that it probably needs more of a come join in with maintaining
> Universe and we'll be glad to make you stuff more of a priority
> perspective.
> Yes, packagers need to be proactive, but they also can help themselves by
> helping Ubuntu.  They also need to understand that you can't force
> volunteers.
>
> There was one guy that uploaded a package and when it hadn't gotten a
> complete
> review in a handful of hours went and complained to sabdfl.  I'd given the
> guy a few suggestions in what time I had, but his impatience and
> complaining
> to  sabdfl have pretty well demotivated me with respect to helping him
> (not
> that my help's such a big deal, but I'm guessing I'm not the only one that
> would react that way).
>
> Finally, I think it would be useful if there were people who, while not
> yet
> MOTU, had some packaging experience, were authorized to comment (but not
> advocate) packages on REVU.  There are a number of packages that have
> basic
> issues that less experienced reviewers can help with.  If we can help with
> those packages, the MOTUs can better focus on ones that are close/ready to
> upload.  This would also give MOTUs an additional source of information on
> people's ability to review packages when they are deciding if someone is
> ready to be a MOTU.
>
> Scott K
>
> P.S.  I came in in the middle of Feisty development and have no complaints
> about the attention my packages got or the quality of the
> reviews.  Whatever
> improvements can be made, I don't think the situation is broken.

João Pinto
GetDeb Packager
http://www.getdeb.net