Packages updates on REVU

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Sun Apr 22 22:03:33 BST 2007

On Sunday 22 April 2007 12:28, Lionel Le Folgoc wrote:

> * So, how can we improve this?
>
> I think the REVU/wiki page has to be updated, to explicitely say:
> "When-you-upload-a-package-go-on-#ubuntu-motu-and-cry-and-yell-until-you-ge
>t-a-MOTU-to-review-it".

I think that it probably needs more of a come join in with maintaining
Universe and we'll be glad to make you stuff more of a priority perspective.
Yes, packagers need to be proactive, but they also can help themselves by
helping Ubuntu.  They also need to understand that you can't force
volunteers.

There was one guy that uploaded a package and when it hadn't gotten a complete
review in a handful of hours went and complained to sabdfl.  I'd given the
guy a few suggestions in what time I had, but his impatience and complaining
to  sabdfl have pretty well demotivated me with respect to helping him (not
that my help's such a big deal, but I'm guessing I'm not the only one that
would react that way).

Finally, I think it would be useful if there were people who, while not yet
MOTU, had some packaging experience, were authorized to comment (but not
advocate) packages on REVU.  There are a number of packages that have basic
issues that less experienced reviewers can help with.  If we can help with
those packages, the MOTUs can better focus on ones that are close/ready to
upload.  This would also give MOTUs an additional source of information on
people's ability to review packages when they are deciding if someone is
ready to be a MOTU.

Scott K

P.S.  I came in in the middle of Feisty development and have no complaints
about the attention my packages got or the quality of the reviews.  Whatever
improvements can be made, I don't think the situation is broken.