Speex on AMD64 Dapper

Jean-Marc Valin jean-marc.valin at usherbrooke.ca
Mon Oct 23 10:19:21 BST 2006

> Just to clarify -- When William said "speex is in main", he meant the
> source package speex is in main.  Although the binary package speex is
> in universe, since both speex and libspeex1 are built from the source
> package speex, and libspeex1 is in main, this means the source package
> speex is in main.  (Yeah, it is quite confusing when you look at
> Launchpad.)

Can the binary package be fixed in universe. There's actually no problem
with libspeex1, only with the speex binary package. In any case, if you
cannot update the binary package "speex", please *remove* it from amd64.
As it is, any attempt to use speexenc on AMD64 results in a crash right
at the beginning. There is simply no reason to include it in AMD64
Dapper if it's not fixed.

> As I've commented in bug #19482, to update a main package in dapper, the
> procedures in https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StableReleaseUpdates needs to be
> followed.  And I agree with William that contacting ubuntu-devel list
> would be a good idea.

Had a quick look at the conditions. It seems like they don't allow for
"package is totally broken", so unless they make an exception (unlikely
considering they didn't even bother applying the patch *before* Dapper
was released), only options left are:
1) Fixing the speex binary package in universe (and keeping the broken
source package)
2) Removing the speex binary package from universe (for Dapper AMD64 only).
3) Keeping a binary that will either (if you're lucky) crash on startup
or else (if unlucky) generate a corrupted encoded file.

Please don't choose 3!

	Jean-Marc