Speex on AMD64 Dapper

Jean-Marc Valin jean-marc.valin at usherbrooke.ca
Mon Oct 23 02:54:43 BST 2006

Hi everyone,

I hope I'm posting to the right list. I'd like to get people's attention
on the speex package and the fact that it's completely broken (segfault
on startup all the time) on AMD64 Dapper. A bug report was filed
(https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/speex/+bug/19482) in March
and despite the fact that a (trivial) patch was posted 6 months ago,
nothing has been fixed. If you're not going to apply the fix, as the
Speex maintainer I would like to ask you to remove the "speex" (not
libspeex1) package from Dapper on AMD64. This would limit the damage to
the reputation of Ubuntu and/or Speex.

Thanks,

	Jean-Marc

P.S. The bug is fixed in Edgy and Debian unstable, so it's only a Dapper
issue. 32-bit platforms are not affected.