RFC: MOTU build farm project.

Luke Yelavich themuso at themuso.com
Fri Oct 6 09:14:10 BST 2006

Hi all
As I am sure many of us are aware, it is important that we test build a
package before uploading/getting sponsored to upload a package to
universe. For the most part this is fine. We have chroots/pbuilders set
up for this reason. Yet there are times when a package may build
successfully on one architecture, yet fail on another. Often most of us
don't know this is the case, until the package hits the build servers,
and fails to build, as we do not have access to that architecture's
hardware to test build on.

Some of us are lucky enough to have access to more than one Ubuntu
supported architecture, the most common being amd64 and i386, as amd64
machines can handle i386. Then there are also more of us who happen to
have access to PowerPC hardware, and so it goes on. If we remember often
enough, we may also run a test build of a package on these other
architectures, just to be safe. However, there are also those of us who
may only have one or two machines, which are likely to be i386.

I think it is time that a few of us put our heads together, and came up
with a solution to allow people who have access to less common
architectures donate some CPU cycles and bandwidth for others to test
build/debug architecture specific build failures. Such donation has
already been done by Brandon Holtsclaw, who has donated access to a few
MOTUs for building/testing. This has been beneficial for both Brandon,
who has access to the hardware, and the MOTUs who have accounts on the
donated hardware, as they can produce packages that are a lot more
likely to build on all architectures.

I am also sure there are many of us out there who have hardware they
would like to donate access to, but haven't got around to doing so. I
have a few ideas on a feature set for such implementation, but I would
like to get comments/suggestions from others in the MOTU community about
this idea. In the longterm, I personally believe that such a setup would
benefit the MOTU community, and will help further improve the quality of
packages we make available.

Comments and suggestions welcome.
--
Luke Yelavich