Bitchx in Ubuntu Edgy

Daniel Jacobowitz dan at debian.org
Fri Nov 24 02:04:46 GMT 2006

On Thu, Nov 23, 2006 at 03:09:06PM +1030, Varsis Tomashibi wrote:
> Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
>

> >The Debian package has depended on mysql for many years.  One of the
> >optional plugins uses it.
> >

> Oh? I never noticed. Seems like a strange dependency to me (shouldn't it
> be a suggested package instead? I guess that's debatable), if the plugin
> is optional that is. It basically means you have to install
> mysql-common, libmysqlclient15off and other mysql components in order to
> run an application that primarily doesn't use mysql unless an optional
> plugin is installed?

The plugin is included in the bitchx package.  It won't work without
mysql.  Therefore, by default, mysql is a dependency.

The plugin is "europa"; I don't remember what it's for.

I can't find a reference for it, but enabling optional features in
Debian packages even when they require additional libraries is standard
practice.  It is no kind of hardship to install mysql-common to use
BitchX.  It's not like you need the server.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery