MOTU todo list

Daniel Holbach daniel.holbach at ubuntu.com
Wed Nov 1 08:46:02 GMT 2006

Hello everybody,

CCing Michael, as he knows the dist-ugprade process best. :-)

Am Dienstag, den 31.10.2006, 23:01 -0500 schrieb Daniel T. Chen:
> Jordan Mantha wrote:
> > Anything else we should take care of soonish? I'd like MOTU to get
> > feisty with Feisty and rock the user community with the most stable,
> > up-to-date, and usable Universe yet. Starting the development cycle
> > right will help a lot, IMO.
>
> Reading Scott's comments[0] regarding dist-upgrading led me to revisit
> something we've been neglecting: We should plan a testing scheme for
> universe dist-upgrades. Granted we're already doing this from revision
> to revision, but William's and Michael's efforts in Edgy have reiterated
> just how imperative it is that we strive for smooth dist-upgrades. For
> Feisty, although our primary upgrade path will be Edgy->Feisty, there's
> no reason we shouldn't at least attempt Dapper->Feisty, too.
>
> Yes, I'm insane[1].
>
> However, if Dapper is to be recognized as a serious LTS release, we
> really need to put the manpower behind it. Count me in for assisting
> said effort.
>

> [0] http://www.netsplit.com/blog/articles/2006/10/30/automatix-and-upgrading
> [1] http://www.frog.co.nz/images2/toadily-insane.jpg

I talked to Michael about dist-upgrade testing and we had some ideas
involving popcon data in simulating release upgrades.

https://features.launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+spec/auto-dist-upgrade-testing/
https://features.launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+spec/dist-upgrader-fixes

It'd be really cool to see people jump in there and get release upgrades
tested early in the game so we can get packages fixed before release.

Have a nice day,
 Daniel