[Motu-reviewers] [REVU][COMMENT] for emacs-nxml-mode

Reinhard Tartler siretart at tauware.de
Wed Mar 1 13:17:22 GMT 2006

On Tue, Feb 28, 2006 at 02:00:56PM +0100, Stefan Potyra wrote:
 Am Montag 27 Februar 2006 22:30 schrieb motu-reviewers at lists.tauware.de:
> > Comment for package emacs-nxml-mode (not advocating)
> > Number of Advocates: 0
> > Packages was uploaded at: 2006-02-26 20:40:01.956955
> > Package was uploaded from: marcin.antczak at gmail.com
> > REVU-Link: http://revu.tauware.de/details.py?upid=2067
> >
> > marcin.antczak at gmail.com wrote:
> >
> > It's pretty hard to be well motivated when someone tells you that your work
> > is not is worth nothing because it makes you do something...
>
> Please don't believe that your contribution is worth nothing.

I agree to zakame and sistpoty. Let me rephrase how I understood your
issue:

If I understood you correctly, you are proposing to change a set of
emacs (related) packages. It is great that you are thinking about how to
make emacs rock even more in ubuntu.

> > I created package for ubuntu and
> > I could maintain this.
> >
> > Package is ready, it works all right and lintian is also happy about this
> > package.

the problem is this: Are you going to maintain the divergence from
debian? will you triage and port (this is what we mean with merging) all
enhancements from the debian side into our ubuntu packages? Are you
really sure how much work this means?

> > All I do is offer you my contribution to change ubuntu into something
> > better.
> >
> > Well organized, user friendly and consistent.
> >
> > And personally I don't care about debian.

Well, this is one thing. The other thing is that WE have do decide, what
this means to ubuntu in the long term. In order to get future updates
and enhancements in ubuntu, it would be easier FOR UBUNTU, if these
changes would go directly into the debian packages.

Have you seriously offered your help to the debian maintainers? Have
they neglected your help? Please think about this: helping debian is
helping ubuntu. Every [1] debian contribution counts as ubuntu conribution.
Really.

In the case that debian chooses to go a different way, lets reconsider
if it makes sense for us to take the extra work for remerging your
changes to the debian packages every update.

Gruesse,
	Reinhard

[1] well, in fact this should read most. Every contribution to debian
which we can directly reuse in ubuntu, obviously.