CommonPackagingMistakes updated -- notes about debian/copyright

Stefan Potyra sistpoty at ubuntu.com
Mon Jul 24 13:45:13 BST 2006

Hi Matthew,

Am Montag 24 Juli 2006 02:36 schrieb Matthew Palmer:
> On Sun, Jul 23, 2006 at 04:35:58PM +0200, Stefan Potyra wrote:
> > >
> > > On what do you base the assertion that information missing from
> > > debian/copyright automatically makes a package undistributable?
> >
> > As an example Section 1 of the GPL:
> > "... provided that you
> > conspicuously and appropriately publish on each copy an appropriate
> > copyright notice ..."
> >
> > violating against sec 1 will mean that the GPL isn't fullfilled and that
> > will mean that no license is given at all.
>
> You're going to need to decide if you're writing a Legal Requirements
> document or a "this is how we do things here" document.  The GPL doesn't
> require you to put stuff in debian/copyright.  No licence (AFAIK) requires
> you to put anything in debian/copyright.  You disagree with me here on the
> basis that "this is how we do things", but later you disagree with me
> because you were talking from a purely legal-theoretic point of view.

Actually this was from a legal POV as well, at least that's how I interpreted
the GPL. But IANAL and I take your word for granted here ;).

> I'd suggest ensuring that the entire document talks about things as Ubuntu
> wants them done.  Things that are legal niceties should be covered as part
> of that, but only insofar as they are how Ubuntu wants them done.  If you
> start talking about legal requirements, you'll just confuse people.  Keep
> It Real Simple.

I tried to cover not only the *how* things should be done for ubuntu, but also
*why* to do certain things. That way ppl. can get the big picture behind it.
A major reason for debian/copyright is a legal one (thus the title "Keeping
the archive legal or the importance of debian/copyright) and it's a tough
task to keep the article simple.

After reading the article again, I must admit that I'm not really happy with
it, as it contains errors and introduces more confusion than it clears things
up.

Thus I'll rewrite it from scratch, trying to keep it more simple.

Thanks for your feedback, I'll report back once I've got a new version.

Cheers,
    Stefan.