Package patent issues

Bill Cox bill at viasic.com
Fri Jul 21 14:02:56 BST 2006

Stefan tried to forward this to this list, but the attachment got
scrubbed.  Thanks for trying, Stefan!

Hi.

I wrote a simple challenge-response e-mail filter (evochallenge at
sf.net).  A few people use it, and it's useful to us.

I'm thinking of packaging it for Debian.  However, lately I've read that
patent law-suits pending in the U.S. between companies over who invented
challenge-response.  I suspect this is why Evolution doesn't already
offer it.

Should I assume that neither Debian nor Ubuntu want anything to do with
a package which is in an area hot with software-patent litigation in the
US?

Thanks,
Bill Cox
bill at billrocks.org