MOTU WikiPages reorganization

Raphaël Pinson raphink at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 21:15:34 GMT 2006

Hello fellow MOTUs,

The organization of the MOTU Wiki has been discussed quite a lot
lately, and quite a lot of work has been done for it.

I noticed that some pages are named after MOTUNameOfThePage while
others are named after MOTU/Topic/SubTopic. Since the Ubuntu wiki
allows to browse documentation with the latter way of naming pages, I
believe this is a good way of having a good documentation database for
MOTUs.

I have thus begun to rename pages to fit the MOTU/Topic/SubTopic
layout. After renaming pages, I check the reverse dependencies and
recreate the old page with a redirection to the new one, to make sure
links are not broken withing the documentation.

Here are a few examples of how I intend to organize things on the MOTU Wiki :

* MOTUMeeting stuff :

I have moved the MOTUMeeting to MOTU/Meetings.
Each meeting, instead of being named after MOTUMeeting-YY-MM-DD is now
named after MOTU/Meetings/YY-MM-DD, and minutes are located at
MOTU/Meetings/Minutes.  All the links within these docs have been
corrected to fit this new naming layout. I believe this is much
clearer a way to organize things, using pseudo-directories.

* MOTUDocumentation stuff :

Some pages deal specifically with the MOTU documenation things on the
Wiki, e.g. MOTUDocumentationDraft and MOTUDocTodo. Again, we lack a
standard naming layout for these.
I have created MOTU/Documentation, that lists the MOTU/Documentation/* pages.
MOTUDocumentationDraft has been moved to MOTU/Documentation/Draft and
MOTUDocTodo to MOTU/Documentation/Todo.

* MOTU Teams :

MOTU Teams are a big mess currently, too, imho. I have moved MOTUTeams
to MOTU/Teams, and am moving each team to MOTU/Teams/* .
For example, MOTUGames is moved to MOTU/Teams/Games and MOTUKDE to
MOTU/Teams/Kubuntu.

These are just a few examples, and I intend to organize the MOTU doc
further this way.

/!\ Again, after each renaming of a page, I recreate the old page and
redirect to the new one so as to not break links. I search for reverse
dependencies on the wiki and try to fix the links directly, but I am
totally aware that there are links from other websites and from LP in
particular that cannot be checked, so I'm making sure they are not
broken.

I reckon my work on this is already quite begun, but I will still
enjoy comments and suggestions :)

Raphaël

Raphaël Pinson - raphink at ichthux.org
http://raphink.multiply.org