UVF exception for ipython-0.7.0-2

Stephan Hermann sh at sourcecode.de
Sun Jan 22 19:17:37 GMT 2006

On Sunday 22 January 2006 16:33, Reinhard Tartler wrote:
> Am Sonntag, den 22.01.2006, 16:07 +0100 schrieb Stephan Hermann:
> > That I don't say. The patch was introduced during hoary, when doko pushed
> > a new upstream to ubuntu, which wasn't pushed to debian.
>
> As I wrote in the previous mail, this patch WAS adopted by the debian
> package. The problem is that this was NOT noticed during the merge.

Yes..but during the time from hoary to breezy after 2 new upstream releases,
therefore, between 0.6.10-0ubuntu1 and the next merge run, nobody touched the
package. So, it was either my fault or no ones. Not Ubuntus in general. I
wasn't paying attention at this time, and this I can state here, without any
problem. I know it was my bug, and that's it.

> > Well, there is a difference between, doing my job, and complaining about
> > my job. Fact is, he was looking the last couple of days to the package in
> > ubuntu and not during the last >6 months, because when he had a look
> > earlier, he would have seen the patch much earlier, and could talk to
> > doko or during breezy to me.
>
> Sorry. You cannot treat him like this. He recently became co maintainer
> to this package and noticed the botched ubuntu merge while packaging a
> new upstream version. He was/is annoyed that we didn't noticed that this
> patch was adopted by debian quite some time ago.

I don't treat him like this, it's no offense against Norbert personally, but
as you know, I'm really annoyed of this behaviour of some people. Strange I
don't have problems with other maintainers. And more comical is that, that
they don't even bother to ask the people, who could be responsible.

And recently is since 1st of March, and dokos upload to ubuntu was on the 12th
of Feb, so in between there was a long time.

> > Regarding the latest discussions on debian-devel, it's a matter of fact,
> > that right now, we will receive many annoying complains about some of our
> > actions. I don't say, that we are always right, but nevertheless, it's a
> > poor attitude of people, to complain loud, but not saying that they only
> > had a look now, not earlier.
> >
> > Sorry to say, there is something wrong.
>
> Yes. Lets fix things then!

That's what we're trying to do, aren't we?

> > Regarding my merge, at this time, I can't say anymore what was the cause
> > of not including the hoary changelog entries. But, the merge was done by
> > me, and it was working. So no harm towards Ubuntu. But it would be nice,
> > if the complaining party is complaining the right way. Not only regarding
> > an opponents mistake, no, the complaining party should also complain
> > about their mistakes, and that was, not to check at all during the last
> > >6 months.
>
> Maintainers do change in debian. Please, don't expect debian people to
> play ubuntu rules when you don't play their rules. We want to work with
> them. In this particular case, if the profiling patch would have been
> properly documented somewhere, this whole thread would not exist.

It was documented, and regarding the changelog I can only repeat it again.
Most propaperly it was my fault, not to paying too much attention to this
changelog. And the error was, that I didn't check the including of the hoary
changelog entries of doko.

> > This morning when I read Norberts entry on planet debian, I was thinking
> > about writing a blog entry as well. But I ignored my feelings, and I
> > didn't feed the trolls.
>
> I think he is right. We should apologise.

Well, did I ever wrote, that "Debian did it again, and screwed up this or that
package?" (there are several examples where we could do it, but we don't do
it, because it brings only more problems). If I need to communicate with a
debian maintainer, I'll do it the proper way, irc/mail/jabber. Or the other
way around, if the debian maintainer wants something to know, he/she can ask
via email/irc/jabber. That's the only way to fly and not complaining first,
then discussing it with, in this special case, you (but it could be anyone
else, so no personal offense pls), who could only guess what was happening.
Normally I'm on IRC, and everybody knows my nick, and if not, I'm available
via mail or jabber (mostly 24/7). So the most important information was in
the changelog: Not "Resynchronizing with debian" but "Stephan Hermann
<sh at sourcecode.de>".

There is no need for excuses. And it's no personal offense. I'm only sick and
tired of all this stupid bashing. Strange, that I can say: "I made a
mistake", and it's quite easy to say that, when I see, that I made a mistake.

The bashing won't help us, and it won't help Debian. It pushes the parties
only into more confrontation cases, which I don't want, and I don't like.

And furthermore it disturbs us more then it disturbs other people.

regards,

\sh