Handling of proposals for new packages

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Thu Jan 19 18:36:51 GMT 2006

Currently, proposals for new packages to be added to universe are maintained
here:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UniverseCandidates

This seems to work reasonably well, but has the usual limitations of storing
structured data in a wiki.  Also, we receive a steady flow of such requests
via Malone, and moving data between these systems is inconvenient.

Therefore, I would like to ask your opinions about maintaining this list in
Malone instead.

- With Launchpad teams, it would be possible for interested developers to be
  notified of requests for new packages, to see if it's something they would
  be interested in packaging.  Consider a "MOTU new packages" team or
  similar.

- The status of each package could be tracked using the usual Malone
  mechanisms, and interested parties could subscribe to be notified when
  the status changes

- The queue could be prioritized using Malone metadata

Thoughts?

--
 - mdz