Packaging of new upstream versions in Ubuntu

Ming Hua minghua-list at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 19 03:00:07 GMT 2006

On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 06:53:39PM +0100, Stephan Hermann wrote:

> please check which repository this is in.
>
> Main packages are handled a bit differently.

[snipped]

> If the debian maintainer has problems with it, please send him to
> changelogs.ubuntu.com and to ubuntu-devel.

I hope you only mean main packages here.  For universe packages I
completely agree with Lucas, we should submit/follow-up "new upstream
version available" wishlist bug in Debian if we package -0ubuntuX
versions.

Besides the reasons Lucas listed above, the new version may also bring
some changes that need corresponding adjustment in packaging.  As the
Debian maintainer is usually more familar with the package, it would be
nice to ask he/she before we put new upstream version in Ubuntu.

In my opinion for a well-spread development model like Debian and MOTU,
communication is a very important thing.  It's always good tryint to
keep a good relationship and close contact with upstream Debian
maintainers if they are willing to coorperate/collaborate.

Ming
2006.01.18