Different utilities with the same name on different packages

Matt Palmer mpalmer at hezmatt.org
Thu Jan 5 03:18:23 GMT 2006

On Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 10:39:59PM -0400, Anderson Lizardo wrote:
> (mkimage), but both have totally different purposes. What do you suggest
> in this case:
>
> - use diversion

No.  For many reasons.

> - make the packages mutually conflicting

Quite possible, although irritating for the user that wants to use both
packages.

> - rename the utility to something else (what I'm currently doing)

Definitely the recommended option.  See if it's feasible to get the other
package renamed as well; that way, people who go purely by the program name
(say they've used the program you're packaging on another distro) won't get
confused by the different binary name.  Also see if you can get the program
name changed upstream -- 'mkimage' is a woefully generic name.

- Matt