MOTU: Anyone planning on packaging Cube?

Stefan Potyra sistpoty at ubuntu.com
Sat Feb 25 19:05:02 GMT 2006

Hi John,

(following up to ubuntu-motu list)

Am Samstag 25 Februar 2006 18:54 schrieb John Richard Moser:
> Are any MOTU guys looking at games?

Yes, we have the motu-games team.

> I know Wesnoth and Adonthell are
> out there, and I'm thinking about the ubuntu-gamers market.
>
> I just stumbled across a production 3D FPS called "Cube," which is open
> source and for Linux, Windows, BSD, and MacOSX.

Sorry, we can't package cube, since it's not redistributable. See [1] (and
followups) for details.

> It looks fairly nice,
> and it would be nice to see Ubuntu packaging up a few more
> redistributable games.
>
>   http://www.cubeengine.com/index.php4
>
> In the line of FPS games, there's also AxionQuake and DeathIllustrated,
> which are based on open source code but aren't run from the best sites
> and the code is hard to find.  I'm not sure of either in terms of
> licensing, although D.I. is cube based; you'll have to ask the site
> authors.
>
> Digital Paintball (YES.) has GPL source code, not sure on data files.
>
>   http://digitalpaint.planetquake.gamespy.com/files.html

Please add it to [2].

> Also Nexuiz.  Full GPL.
>
>   http://www.nexuiz.com

Bruno has already done some packaging for nexuiz, but these packages won't
make it into dapper, unfortunately (due to FeatureFreeze). Good news is, that
we'll have them in dapper+1, since Bruno is working within the debian-games
team on it.

> Warsow I'm not sure wtf is going on here but it exists.
>
>   http://www.warsow.net/?p=news

Please also add it to [2],

> Anyway, that's the line-up I can find for First Person Shooter games.
> It'd be neat to see these in universe if the MOTU team wants to go at
> it; the whole gamer crowd is spaced FAR from Linux because there's no
> visible good FPS games here (like Doom3?  XD)

[1]:
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-games-devel/2006-February/000407.html
[2]: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MOTU/Teams/Games/NEW