UVF for sylpheed-claws-gtk2 (Was: sylpheed-claws in xubuntu-desktop)

Colin Leroy colin at colino.net
Tue Feb 21 13:51:08 GMT 2006

On 21 Feb 2006 at 14h02, Reinhard Tartler wrote:

Hi Reinhard!,

> On Mon, Feb 20, 2006 at 09:52:42AM +0000, Reinhard Tartler wrote:
>
> > This would have to go in ubuntu universe first. We are currently in
> > UVF (upstream version freeze), so claws2 needs a excpetion first.
> > [1] describes our process and what to do.
> >
> > Personally, I also feel that we should update claws2.
>
> find attached debdiff and changelog taken from the debian package.
> The changes seem rather high to me. Perhaps Colin can comment on the
> changes? How much risk of breaking does this update take?

First, as the Changelog can be a bit difficult to digest, here's the
easy version: http://claws.sylpheed.org/news.php .

Now, the vast majority of the changes between 1.9.100 and 2.0.0 are
a) usability fixes
b) actual bug fixes
c) the documentation rewrite.

I couldn't resist and added a little feature (printing of attached
images), but it is proven harmless.

More importantly, we discovered an important issue with our interaction
with libetpan. We use libetpan as our IMAP library. Sylpheed-Claws is
linked against OpenSSL to be able to access POP3, SMTP or news servers
over SSL. Libetpan is more versatile and can be linked against either
OpenSSL or GnuTLS.

The problem is that libetpan's gnutls support was provided via gnutls'
compatibility glue... Now, we have a libetpan.so linked against
gnutls-openssl.so, and we link it with sylpheed-claws which itself is
linked to libssl. Weird crashes ensue. It's been fixed on libetpan's
side by rewriting gnutls' support to use the real gnutls API and not
linking to gnutls-openssl, and on Sylpheed-Claws side by updating a few
calls.

So, all in all and from a developer point of view (which may also be
biased, I agree ;-), I'd say that updating to sylpheed-claws-gtk2-2.0.0
(and libetpan-0.41), before releasing Dapper, could only be beneficial.

HTH,
--
Colin