allegro transition - a kind of UVF exception (w.o. diffstat and changes)

Stefan Potyra sistpoty at ubuntu.com
Mon Feb 13 19:25:07 GMT 2006

Hi folks,

for ubuntu dapper we have allegro4.1, while debian unstable has allegro4.2
(*and* allegro4.1).

Difference is, that allegro4.2 provides liballegro4.2-dev whereas allegro4.1
provides liballegro-dev. Most of the rdepends in debian are already migrated
(and the ones that were merged/synced to dapper) and thus build-depend on
liballegro4.2-dev.

The following packages would be affected from the transition

package | sync possible | allegro-version unstable | allegro-version dapper
+libdumb | no | 4.2 | 4.1
+wing | no | 4.2 | 4.1
+stax | no | 4.2 | 4.1
*rafkill | yes | 4.2 | 4.2
matrem | yes | 4.2 | 4.1
+liquidwar | no | 4.2 | 4.1
+alogg | no | 4.1 | 4.1
(*)kraptor | no | 4.2 | 4.1 (but can be rebuild)
*kq | yes | 4.2 | 4.2
*kball | no | 4.2 | 4.1 (FTBFS, same version in unstable and dapper)
ire | no | 4.1 | 4.1
atanks | no | 4.1 | 4.1

+: ubuntu specific change to package present
*: currently broken because of unmet dependencies
(*): just uploaded a -xbuild1 version for dependencies

So the question is: Should we go for the allegro4.1 to allegro4.2 transition
and request allegro4.2 to be synced?

Imo the risk would be minimal, since allegro4.1 wouldn't be removed from the
archives and we'd be able to change back if hell freezes over ;).

In case there are no objections, I will simulate the whole transition
beforehand and would (if everything goes well) take care of it.

P.S.: I just sent this message with diffstat and changes, but it was too big
and needs prior moderator approval ;)

Cheers,
	Stefan.