"official" MOTU projects (was: Morgue for MOTU ?)

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Sat Feb 11 12:07:42 GMT 2006

hi
Am Samstag, den 11.02.2006, 11:07 +0000 schrieb Reinhard Tartler:
> > The Ubuntu way of handling this is, document your work, become a Member, and
> > after some time, become an ubuntu-dev with universe/multiverse upload rights.
> > The Ubuntu / ubuntu-dev membership won't last forever, they are limited to 1
> > to 2 years. If they're not renewed you loose your rights automatically. Thx
> > to LP.
>
> I think this will become a serious problem in perhaps one or two years.
why ? your launchpad account (which now rules your upload rights since
we use soyuz) will expire automatically after two years, there is no
action required from our side, its up to you to renew that.

> > This is different from Debian, where someone has to write a lot of emails and
> > waiting for no response to set the maintainer as MIA.
>
> ?? - Did you have to write a lot of emails? The correct procedure
> handling inactive Maintainers in Debian is documented here:
> http://www.debian.org/doc/developers-reference/ch-beyond-pkging.en.html#s-mia-qa
>
> Something we have not (yet) documented, but I think we should do so.

see above ...

> I strongly disagree. For me, debian is the most successful distribution
> on this planet, measuring the numbers of developers and users.
> Comercially supported applications is not one of the core goals from
> debian. You can read them here: http://www.us.debian.org/social_contract
>
> Again something we don't have, but I think we should at least think
> about something comparable.

*cough*, *cough* did you read the CoC before you signed it ??

> > For me, volunteers are coming and are going. It's a continous flow of "human
> > resources" over time. Is that bad? No.
>
> This is how maintaining universe currently works. This is to me mainly
> because we have serious problems with the workload, and need as many
> volunteers as we can get.
this is how it will go on as well ...

there are lots of documents on the website and wiki that describe the
maintainership and its processes, why do we need additional stuff
(managing volunteers ?? huh ??) see for example:
http://www.ubuntu.com/community/processes/newdev

------------
to everybody in this thread (not specific to siretart or single persons
or even this mail...):

there were BOFs and discussions at every conference about processes and
maintainership and many manhours went into getting a good consensus ...
not that i'd say it cant be improved, but why dont you start off the
existing stuff and improve that instead of starting all from scratch ?
you all start crying i fthere is a single line of duplicated coding work
in packages, why doesnt this apply for our documents as well ?

http://www.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/relationship exists, seems nobody feels the
need to read it or base his improvements off this, but if i do a search
in the wiki i find 15 pages like

ContributingToDebian
DebianCollaboration
UniverseAndDebian
(among 15 hits)

i must adimt that share stephans disappiontment about the mood in the
motu world that went from having fun together fixing packages to useless
(imho) discussions about more rules and politics ...

motu is something very special and unique in the OSS world please dont
let it become a second debian with tons of rules and policies as long as
there is no need for that (and i really dont see the need yet), we are
ubuntu and have always had our own ways of doing stuff, often found new
(imho better) ways, lets do that in the future as well. (i.e. some
months after dholbach announced the motu teams model for ubuntu, debian
suddenly started discussing heavily about team maintenance and
apparently it gets adopted ... i dont say dholbach imvented this model,
i know there were ideas in debian about it before, but our annuncement
triggered a wider change in mind in debian).
ubuntu is known for good ideas and improvements that others adopt, lets
stay this kind of innovator for the OSS world, lets not just copy off
others models but improve the world with what we do where we can and if
we cant, lets go on with the working models we already use.

i'll now hide back in my hole i crawled out and stop with these pathetic
outpourings :)

ciao
	oli