"official" MOTU projects (was: Morgue for MOTU ?)

Matt Palmer mpalmer at hezmatt.org
Thu Feb 9 20:37:54 GMT 2006

On Thu, Feb 09, 2006 at 06:38:17PM +0100, Stephan Hermann wrote:
> On Thursday 09 February 2006 14:06, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> > On 09/02/06 at 12:57 +0000, Reinhard Tartler wrote:
> > > These thoughts lead directly to the questions "What are we MOTUs, why do
> > > we work in the MOTU Team, where did we come from, and where do we go
> > > tomorrow". Strange questions, but necessary, I think.
> >
> > Add: What can be expected from a MOTU regarding quality, dedication, etc.
> > This is similar to the questions about contribution to Debian. And
> > there's really no easy answer.
>
> You can't expect anything from a volunteer.

No, you can't *force* a volunteer to do anything.  That's not the same thing
as "no expectations".  I think it's reasonable to set a number of
expectations of MOTUs, document them, and then require that, if you want to
be part of the team, that you abide by those expectations.  If you are
unwilling or unable to meet the necesary expectations, it's "thanks for your
contributions, but you're off the team".

"No expectations" is, IMO, one of the leading causes of problems in
volunteer organisations.  Nobody feels a need to do anything beyond "because
I want to at the moment", and things fall apart.  In the larger context,
society works on expectations -- courtesy, norms, and so on, are all
expectations that society "in general" applies to it's members.

- Matt