More efficient package reviewing

Stefan Potyra sistpoty at ubuntu.com
Thu Aug 3 00:48:49 BST 2006

Hi,

Am Donnerstag 03 August 2006 00:09 schrieb Lucas Nussbaum:
> On 02/08/06 at 15:58 -0400, Hubert Figuiere wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I would like to raise a few points/concerns about the package reviewing
> > process and the fact that the backlog of package to be review on REVU is
> > increasing every day. It is not to blame people, but I'm sure we can make
> > the process faster by reducing the actual workload.
>
> I'd like to raise a few other issues about importing new packages into
> Ubuntu. REVU isn't only about this, but if discussing the issues
> described below might help reduce REVU workload.
>
> == Do we really want newer upstream release ? (ie: diverge from Debian
> by having newer software available) ==
>
> Having the newest software is great, but we have to be able to maintain
> it. By introducing divergence from Debian, we increase the number of
> merges we will have to work on in the future. And merging two different
> versions ("visions") of a new upstream release is not easy.
> Maybe we should have a more responsible attitude wrt new upstream
> releases, and only package them ourself when Debian is clearly lagging,
> and we know the newer upstream release will bring something very useful
> with it (bugfixes).

Agreed.

> == Do we really want more software in Ubuntu ? ==
>
> It seems that the main opinion inside MOTU is "let's get as many
> packages in as possible". However, most of such packages never make it
> to Debian. Why ? Maybe because Debian is slower. But also maybe because
> nobody cares about a 7th package providing the same functionality. In
> Debian, ITPs are often answered with comments such as "what does it do
> better than XX ?". Maybe, for new software, we should add a field in
> REVU where the uploader will describe why he/she thinks the package
> should be included in Ubuntu, and exactly how it compares to similar
> packages already in the archive.

I strongly object: imo FOSS is about choice and thus we shouldn't limit choice
just because there is a different package with overlapping functionality.
Imho if the person who packages the software cares about it, that should be
enough to get it into ubuntu (and of course it is packaged in a sane way).
However the packager really *should* care about what he/she packages. And also
care for getting new updates in/working with upstream/fixing bugs etc.

> Another thing that we should definitely do is make some stats about
> packages that were added to Ubuntu but aren't in Debian. Are they really
> used ? But we'd need a popularity-contest with more participants ...

I also don't think popularity provides a good measure if we should have a
package or not.

However some stats like upload history of ubuntu packages not in debian or lp
bug counts might come in handy.

Cheers,
    Stefan.