SSL transition!

Adam Conrad adconrad at ubuntu.com
Sun Apr 9 12:08:23 BST 2006

Daniel Holbach wrote:
> If Adam hasn't planned to do this with a script, it'd be great if we
> would pick this up and add this on our TODO list for Dapper.
>
> Adam, what are your plans on this? Are you happy for the MOTUs to do
> this?

My general rule is "If I break main in a way that breaks Universe, you
get the transition for free, and I'll do all the fixing" (the
libmysqlclient15 transition that just happened last week is a good example).

In the case of OpenSSL, there's nothing WRONG with 0.9.7, you can have
0.9.7 and 0.9.8 installed side-by-side, and packages linking to the old
one aren't necessarily broken in any sense, so I didn't feel an
overwhelming urge to do much of anything about it (though we did want to
get only one supported version in main)

That said, I oversaw a lot of the changes in the OpenSSL 0.9.8
transition in Debian, have a good clue about what API changes may bite
some packages, and other such things, so I don't mind participating in
this one anyway, just to "get it done".

... Adam