Ubuntu Packaging Guide: call for review

Jordan Mantha jordan.mantha at gmail.com
Sat Apr 8 16:34:25 BST 2006

On 4/8/06, Jani Monoses <jani.monoses at gmail.com> wrote:
> Jordan Mantha írta:
> > I know that everyone is hard at work making Dapper rock so I will try
> > to keep this short.
>
> Hello Jordan,
>
> as this is for dapper, the pbuilder section could be simplified a lot.
> According to the PbuilderHowto in the wiki there's no need to tweak
> config files in /etc one could just start using pbuilder rigth away
> after installing.

Well, there are a couple of reasons I didn't do that. The first is
that while the new pbuilderrc is certainly more Ubuntu friendly, it
doesn't set the OTHERMIRROR variable to add the Universe and
Multiverse repos. I think that virtually every person reading the
guide will want to start out with Universe packages (and hence will
probably have Universe deps sooner or latter) rather than Main. The
other reason is that this will only work for someone who wants to use
a Dapper pbuilder. While this will certainly be often the case, my
thought, at this point, was that it was better for the user to know
what the pbuilderrc file was doing so they could tweak it if
necessary. So at this point, pbuilder works "out of the box" if you
want to create a dapper pbuilder without Universe. That seemed like
too narrow a group for me to ditch the current guide.

Ideally, pbuilder create would do something like ask for the
distribution to be created (unstable, dapper, etc.) and what repos to
add (main, non-free for unstable and main, universe, etc. for dapper).

-Jordan

--
"That's all very well in practice, but will it ever work in theory?"
      -- G. Hill, Education in Chemistry, 1992(1), 28.