Managing Divergence

Reinhard Tartler siretart at tauware.de
Fri Dec 30 21:29:00 GMT 2005

On Sa, 2005-12-31 at 07:41 +1100, Matthew Palmer wrote:

> > I hear you crying why svn, and not bzr. Well, there are some (IMO)
> > technical reasons against bzr. First, there is no bzr-buildpackage and
> > bzr-inject yet.
>
> They'd be pretty trivial to write, though.  I'm actually fairly surprised
> that nobody has sat down and done it yet.  Probably everyone's waiting for
> hct.

Well, in fact it isn't that hard to hack something which can import
debian packages into bzr. But I found out, that bzr is imo lacking some
features for it to be really useful. Centralised Storage plus being able
to pull Nested Archives would be very handy for this task. Also,
something like bzr_load_dirs would be very nice. At ubz, the suggestion
of a 'bzr import foo.tar.gz' has been accepted, but I don't know if it
has been implemented in the mean time.

> > Second, we need a central, authoritative place where all works goes to, so
> > that we get notified as soon as someone commits something new. svn offers
> > this, bzr not.
>
> *cough*bullshit*cough*
>
> bzr-pqm can solve this problem (and a bunch of other problems, besides), but
> even simpler than that, bzr supports the notion of commit hooks just as
> pretty much every VCS tool does.  "Blessing" a particular branch (or
> collection of branches) as being authoritative is simple enough.  Hell,
> being real Ubuntuites you might be able to get access to hct, and *really*
> do the job properly.
Interesting. Will have a look at bzr pqm then, thank you for this
reference.

I already asked Scott for hct some time ago, but it seems that hct is
bound too tightly to launchpad to be of any use without. Anyway, I don't
think it is a bad idea to have an alternative to hct.

> [1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2005/09/msg00002.html, and
> a google for site:lists.debian.org usertags will show you some of the good
> uses they've been put to so far.

I think you are talking about something like this?
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?tag=already-in-ubuntu;users=utnubu-discuss@lists.alioth.debian.org

--
Reinhard Tartler <siretart at tauware.de>