Proposal for collaborative maintenance of packages

Daniel Holbach daniel.holbach at ubuntu.com
Mon Dec 19 07:24:42 GMT 2005

Hi everybody,

I'm very happy to see this effort happening.

Am Sonntag, den 18.12.2005, 17:19 +0100 schrieb Raphael Hertzog:
> This infrastructure is seriously needed in Debian because:
> - team maintenance with SVN is more and more popular, and a good web
>   interface above a SVN repo of Debian packages would help all those
>   teams

I'd be in favour or a bzr solution, not because of random
flame-war-feature-reasons, but of the central approach SVN takes. You
have to handle permissions, have to take care of a lot of people, which
is not a technical problem, but a social problem too. People do feel
locked out.

> - we need to let skilled external contributors maintain packages for us
>   (when they don't want to become DD)

Although this might be a bit early in the discussion, I want to raise
awareness of other distributions that are there already and might be
soon there. This shouldn't be a Debian<->Ubuntu solution, but have a
broader spectrum from the beginning.

I informed the Launchpad team about this discussion, since I think it
might be the best to have some kind of Launchpad integration for this.
http://launchpad.net/distros already shows four distros and the bug
tracker already works nicely across distribution 'borders'.

> and the sooner we work together, the better. :)

Well said. :-)

Have a nice day,
 Daniel