Review Day!

Daniel Holbach daniel.holbach at ubuntu.com
Tue Dec 6 13:47:46 GMT 2005

Hello lovers of new software!

It's been a long time since the last Review Day. We had reasons for
doing that, since our first priority after the release of Breezy was to
catch up with Debian and do a huge amount of merges. In the same time a
lot of thrilling new software piled up in REVU [1] and a lot of MOTU
wannabes worked hard not only to fix old software, but package their
own.

[1] http://revu.tauware.de/

The Review Day is so important for a couple of reasons:
      * in reviewing, we help our MOTU hopefuls to get up to scratch
        with packaging,
      * we see new things ourselves,
      * we get to know our fellow MOTU / MOTU hopefuls better,
      * we get new software in,
      * we make Ubuntu livelier,
      * we have fun!

There's a number of ways you can help out.

If you have a package up on REVU,
      * make sure you integrate the changes required by the last
        comments,
      * if there's an update of a patch or a new upstream version,
        investigate in getting it in.

If you're a MOTU or an experienced Debian Developer or another MOTU
hopeful who would like to make comments, please help to give these
people some feedback.

Some statistics:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

   Package updates:                6 (REVU) + 3 (Launchpad)

       +-----------  These are not exactly new packages,
                     merely patches that have flown in.

       +-----------  This is the cool new software

   NEW packages:                   82
      Have one (of two) votes:      6
      Already commented on:        52
      Updated since last review
      or really not commented on:  30

It doesn't look too bad. :-)

Two things changed since the last review days.

     1. We slightly changed the workflow for 'update-only' packages. We
        formed a 'motureviewers' team on Launchpad [2]. The team reviews
        patches for inclusion in Ubuntu (for existing packages). This is
        completely separated from REVU, but we found that it makes the
        general process easier. It's supposed to work like this: a bug
        is filed on a specific problem, a patch attached, the bug
        assigned to 'motureviewers', the teams reviews it, it gets
        accepted, if it's good to go.
     2. We have non-MOTU reviewers. Yeah, it sounds a bit strange, but
        one community member, very actively did very good reviews and he
        was granted permission to comment on packages in REVU. (Thank
        you, Raphaël Pinson.)

[2] https://launchpad.net/people/motureviewers/+assignedbugs

We hope to see you all on #ubuntu-motu on the 10th/11th of December.

Have a nice day,
 the MOTU team