Ubuntu development release and Finding something to work on.

Andrew Starr-Bochicchio a.starr.b at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 15:55:52 UTC 2011

On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 10:16 AM, Alain Lessard <alales at vif.com> wrote:
> I did "sudo update-manager -d" on a separate partition to get Ubuntu
> development release.
>
> Right now, this is what I got back from issuing the command :
>
> DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
> DISTRIB_RELEASE=11.10
> DISTRIB_CODENAME=oneiric
> DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 11.10"
>
> How do I upgrade to 12.04 (precise) ?

I don't believe you can upgrade to a development release using the"-d"
switch to upgrade-manager until after Alpha 1 has been released. Of
course, you could always change the entries in /etc/apt/sources.list
manually to point to precise.

> Do I need to switch to 12.04 (precise) ?

Not at all. At this point in the development cycle, I would even
suggest that it would be a bad idea to upgrade you main work
environment. I suggest would suggest that you use a virtual machine or
UsingDevelopmentReleases/OtherWays wiki page. Many Ubuntu developers
prefer to build their packages with pbuilder
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PbuilderHowto) and then test them in a
virtual machine.

-- Andrew Starr-Bochicchio

   Ubuntu Developer <https://launchpad.net/~andrewsomething>