working on stable release

David Henningsson david.henningsson at canonical.com
Tue Nov 8 09:48:10 UTC 2011

On 11/01/2011 04:06 PM, moses dsouza wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have created my launchpad page (https://launchpad.net/~moijes12) and
> have registered my PGP keys and SSH keys.I have also installed the
> required dev tools.But before going further and setting up pbuilder to
> work on my machine I have a question.
>
> 1. Are beginners allowed to work on fixes for bugs on the current
> release ,say for a bug on some package in oneirc ?
>
> 2. For working on fix in the current release, do I need to use "test
> drive" or would I need to update using "sudo update-manager -d"  ?

Hi Moses!

Releasing packages into the current stable release is somewhat complex.
If you like to fix something into the current release, I suggest you
just go ahead and fix the bug, and once you're done, upload what you
have (patch, debdiff, merge proposal, etc) to the bug you've filed about
the issue.

With some luck someone will pick it up and help you from there (with
actually releasing the stuff into both the development release and the
current release). If nobody seems to care, try to hunt down a "patch
pilot" in the #ubuntu-devel IRC channel (on freenode).

You can read more about what's actually happening here:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StableReleaseUpdates

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
http://launchpad.net/~diwic