Ubuntu development release and Finding something to work on.

Jonathan Aquilina eagles051387 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 12:59:10 UTC 2011

There will be no updates. I am not sure if the development branch has
opened up yet for 12.04

To upgrade there are no iso's at this stage.

to upgrade to the development branch you need to do the following

1) install update-manager-core
2) sudo do-release-upgrade -d

the 2nd step begins the upgrade process to the development branch.

On 10/31/11 6:46 PM, Alain Lessard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I did the following steps :
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebootstrapChroot
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VirtualBox/FirstVM
>
> Those leads me to the following questions :
>
> Where can I find an iso image for 12.04 (Development branch) to run in
> the VirtualBox, do I have to generate it myself ?
>
> How can I test Unity in 12.04 (Development branch) ?
>
> Is it possible to test it starting from a tty session in 12.04 (sudo
> chroot /var/chroot/precise) and then starting the gui (lightdm) ?
>

> Thank you very much.
>
> Have a nice day.
>

> Alain
>
> On Thu, 2011-10-27 at 11:55 -0400, Andrew Starr-Bochicchio wrote:
>> On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 10:16 AM, Alain Lessard<alales at vif.com>  wrote:
>>> I did "sudo update-manager -d" on a separate partition to get Ubuntu
>>> development release.
>>>
>>> Right now, this is what I got back from issuing the command :
>>>
>>> DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
>>> DISTRIB_RELEASE=11.10
>>> DISTRIB_CODENAME=oneiric
>>> DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 11.10"
>>>
>>> How do I upgrade to 12.04 (precise) ?
>> I don't believe you can upgrade to a development release using the"-d"
>> switch to upgrade-manager until after Alpha 1 has been released. Of
>> course, you could always change the entries in /etc/apt/sources.list
>> manually to point to precise.
>>
>>> Do I need to switch to 12.04 (precise) ?
>> Not at all. At this point in the development cycle, I would even
>> suggest that it would be a bad idea to upgrade you main work
>> environment. I suggest would suggest that you use a virtual machine or
>> UsingDevelopmentReleases/OtherWays wiki page. Many Ubuntu developers
>> prefer to build their packages with pbuilder
>> (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PbuilderHowto) and then test them in a
>> virtual machine.
>>

>> -- Andrew Starr-Bochicchio
>>
>>     Ubuntu Developer<https://launchpad.net/~andrewsomething>