Approach to package simple-build-tool

Benjamin Drung bdrung at ubuntu.com
Wed Jun 29 18:28:13 UTC 2011

Am Mittwoch, den 29.06.2011, 21:56 +0400 schrieb Sergey Ukustov:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm Sergey Ukustov, 23 yo, from Volgograd, Russia.
> PhD student and Scala+js :) developer. Have scratched the surface of the
> Debian packaging.
>
> I would like to know how to package simple-build-tool. It is a build
> tool like make or maven but configurable in Scala. It is distributed as
> a jar file sbt-launcher.jar. Users usually create "sbt" wrapper command
> for java -jar sbt-launcher.jar. The problem is sbt is built using early
> version of itself. It means one must have sbt-launch.jar of the version
> v0.7 for example to build sbt-launch.jar v0.10.
>
> Please, tell me what is the best practice to handle this kind of
> (self-dependent when building) programs.

Starting packaging with simple-build-tool is not the easiest way to get
started.

You need to break the build dependency loop somehow. Either build
simple-build-tool without itself (for example, by writing an ant file)
or package an old version of simple-build-tool that can be built without
itself.

--
Benjamin Drung
Debian & Ubuntu Developer