Introduction and a couple of questions

Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre mathieu.tl at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 23:07:52 GMT 2010

Petar,

On Sun, Feb 14, 2010 at 12:40 PM, Petar Vasic <p.vasic at gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

> Recently, I've started a python project [1] using Quickly, and I've
> been using PPAs to distribute it. However, I've come to a point where
> I needed a python module that is not yet packaged for Ubuntu (or
> Debian), so I'm using it as an opportunity to get the know the
> packaging process, and to get involved in MOTU.
>
> I've read all of the documentation I could find, made a package
> following guidelines as closely as I could, and uploaded it to
> REVU[2].
>
> Since this is my first try at this, I've made some mistakes.

Very cool! I'm looking at your package and will be leaving comments
soon, to help out.

As a basic pointer, you'll usually want to run lintian against the
source package (once you've run debuild -S or similar to get a .dsc
file), and against the binary packages (after building them using
pbuilder or sbuild or your favorite tool).

I usually use this command:

lintian -viIE <source package>*.changes

In both the source and binary packages, this will parse the changes
file and run checks on all the necessary parts. It also gives a fair
amount of explanation as to what the errors mean.

> Now, I've made the changes suggested by REVU, but since this is a new
> package and not yet in Ubuntu, should I increase the revision and
> upload it again? Or is there some other procedure in this case?

As Steve pointed out, you shouldn't increase the revision just yet --
packages start at -0ubuntu1, and will only increase if there is a
change needed to the packaging or the source code (but not done
upstream) after the package has been published in the repository.

/ Matt