Steps to become MOTU

Daniel Holbach daniel.holbach at ubuntu.com
Fri Oct 30 09:26:48 GMT 2009

Am Donnerstag, den 29.10.2009, 14:33 +0100 schrieb Matthias Klumpp:
> I applied for mentoring, because I think I do something wrong in
> finding the right bugs for me to patch ;-)

Ah, now I understand. I thought you had applied for Ubuntu Developer
membership. Sorry for that.

> I focused on creating new packages (which do very well at time!) but this
> work creates more work for MOTUs: They have to maintain one package more.
> So I get a "looks good" for my packages at REVU, but sponsoring takes
> months to years. This is why I asked how to become MOTU. (Then I could do
> this by myself, including creating patches, because I know the upstream
> projects very well)

There's always a lot to do in Ubuntu land, it's not just "either work
upstream or package something new". There's a lot of coordination we
need to do with upstreams about bug reports we get, depending on the
part of the release cycle we're in either packaging a new upstream
release or grabbing a patch from upstream, etc. Also there's a bunch of
tasks that concern the integration of upstream software into Ubuntu.

Have a great day,
 Daniel