Looking for a mentor

David Farning dfarning at sugarlabs.org
Thu Oct 29 22:13:50 GMT 2009

Hello mentors,

I am looking for a mentor to help me get started packaging the Sugar
Learning Platform[1] for Ubuntu.  About a year ago I started by
forming the ubuntu-sugarteam[2].  Due to the lead packager getting a
new job and conflicts with upstream, the team petered out.

I am taking another shot at it.  I have set aside the next six months
to get our fledgling packages[1] ready for Ubuntu 10.4.

We are still working out the plan of action.  So far I have:
A. Learned to upload to PPAs.
B. Learned to create packages from scratch.
C. Learned basics of patching.
D. Learned pbuilder.

My next steps are:
A. Learn CDBS.
B. Learn quilt.

Short term goal:
Start to sync the SugarTeam packages with the upstream Debian
packages. The upstream debian packager uses some rather unconventional
packaging techniques and is somewhat challenging to work with.  As
such, I am hoping to simplify his packages techniques yet maintain a
common patching structure so we can collaborate with Debian on an
equal basis.

david

1. www.sugarlabs.org
2. https://launchpad.net/~sugarteam