Steps to become MOTU

Matthias Klumpp matthias at nlinux.org
Thu Oct 29 13:33:34 GMT 2009

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 13:52:32 +0100, Daniel Holbach
<daniel.holbach at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> The process
> people usually follow to become Ubuntu developers is quite simple:
>
>       * work on Ubuntu, get patches reviewed and uploaded by existing
>         Ubuntu developers (sponsoring:
>         https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SponsorshipProcess)
>       * once people start telling you how happy they are with your work,
>         you should consider applying
>         (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDevelopers)
>
> Check out https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MOTU/GettingStarted for documentation
> about Ubuntu development, packaging, etc. and please ask if you have any
> questions. :-)
Thank you! At time people aren't very happy about my patches, because my
lack of C skills.
If I find a problem in an application, I normally submit the patch directly
to upstream, not to Launchpad. If I find a Ubuntu bug in Launchpad I would
like to fix, there is always a time needed of reading the upstream project
code to know how the program works and to create a successful, well-formed
patch which does not create more bugs. (X.org is one of the most
complicated projects in this direction)
Because of this difficulties for creating patches (sometimes you build a
patch and upstream has fixed this bug for ages! Or you need a very long
time to create a patch and while you try this another one fixed this in
minutes.), I applied for mentoring, because I think I do something wrong in
finding the right bugs for me to patch ;-)
I focused on creating new packages (which do very well at time!) but this
work creates more work for MOTUs: They have to maintain one package more.
So I get a "looks good" for my packages at REVU, but sponsoring takes
months to years. This is why I asked how to become MOTU. (Then I could do
this by myself, including creating patches, because I know the upstream
projects very well)
Thanks for your help!
Have a nice day too!
   Matthias Klumpp