Steps to become MOTU

Matthias Klumpp matthias at nlinux.org
Thu Oct 29 13:00:47 GMT 2009

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 17:01:45 -0500, Charlie Smotherman <cjsmo at cableone.net>
wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-10-28 at 14:14 +0100, Matthias Klumpp wrote:
>> Hello!
>> How is the plan to make the sponsoring-process more transparent going
on?

> Please contact huats < christophe.sauthier at gmail.com > he is the person
> you need to contact about your proposed changes to the mentoring
> program.
Okay, I'll do this later on.
>> I sent my application nearly half a year ago and I know that there are
>> several other people who want to become MOTU (and have the necessary
>> skills) and are waiting for a very long time too.
>
> I believe you have a misconception of the Mentoring program.  The
> mentoring program is **NOT** mandatory for you to become a MOTU, or to
> contribute to Ubuntu.  If you have to will and desire to become a MOTU
> dig into the documentation and start helping out.
Of course not, I knew about this fact. But in my opinion it is very helpful
to become familiar with the Ubuntu workflow. (I used openSUSE for years
where users & developers had less possibilities to help developing)
Contributing to Ubuntu is very easy if you have a patch for some issues.
But it is better if you know the "Ubuntu-way" e.g. of creating proper
patches.

> The mentoring program does not make the decision if you fulfill the
> criteria to become a MOTU, that is the responsibility  of the MOTU
> Council. They are the governing body that determines if you are
> qualified for Universe Contributor, Per Package Uploader, MOTU, and Core
> Developer.
This is what I misunderstood. I thought the mentoring program also gives
some kind of feedback how you do your work and if you have enough knowledge
to be able to apply for MOTU.

> Please remember that the MOTU's who mentor in this program are
> volunteers (to include myself), they have jobs and families.  I can not
> force them to take you on as a mentee, all I can do is ask them.  If
> they have time and are willing to take you on as a mentee, they will.
I do not want to force someone and I am sure the MOTUs only mentor someone
if they want. It would be interesting to know how many MOTUs mentor people
at time.

Thank you for answering this, the Mentoring process is now a lot more clear
to me!
Best regards
    Matthias