Presentation & request for mentoring

Federico Hernandez ultrafredde at gmail.com
Mon May 25 23:42:00 BST 2009

Hi!

I'm Federico Hernandez and use ultrafredde as my nick on most accounts and
system. I'm based in Sweden on the lovely west coast.

Last week I have uploaded my first package "task" to REVU. I have now
uploaded a "new" version fixing the comments I got in a quick review (
http://revu.ubuntuwire.com/p/task). Thanks to nhandler and RainCT some
issues regarding REVU and keys could be solved. THX.

I have been using Unix and Linux for since the middle of the '90 while doing
my university studies in math in Germany (and a lot of Lisp programming).
During that time it was natural to use SuSE. I then moved to Sweden and
worked as a programmer developing on Solaris, HP.UX and AIX and later on
also on Red Hat Linux. Around 2000 I moved into system administration and
have been working as a sys admin since then (with a sabbatical to study
physiotherapy).

And as we where moving away from the thin SunRay clients and replacing them
with PC I started to use Debian on my personal PC. As laptops came up and I
wanted/needed to work "hassle" free I found my way to Ubuntu. I like the
usability of it. And how current it stays in regard to the new releases of
the upstream project. Without forgetting its roots in Debian. Which is nice.

It was also the upstream project of the package I have done now that
triggered me to become "active" and package it for Ubuntu. As there will be
sister applications I am also going to package them later during the summer.
further activities in the upstream project are documentation (I wrote the
man pages), bugfixing and new development (spefifying features and partly
implementing them).

But I don't want to stop my involvement in Ubuntu there now. I want to do
more for Ubuntu (and why not become a MOTU at somepoint).

I would like to concentrate around the packaging process & building of the
"system" in the beginning. Bugfixing, new packages, etc. But with some
guidance and a mentor, if possible.For this first package I have been
extensively reading the wiki as well as old logs from #ubunut-classroo,
howto, etc. But having a "master" (pun intended) for guidance available is
prefereble. In particular for the Debian/Ubuntu specific build tools. I know
my way around with all the other *nix tools..

So this is my "cover letter" for requesting a mentor. And also a request for
revie of my first package. ;-)

My launchpad page            https://launchpad.net/~ultrafredde
My bug/package on launchpad  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/378847
My bug/package on REVU       http://revu.ubuntuwire.com/p/task