Nightly builds of software you package

James Westby jw+debian at jameswestby.net
Tue May 5 21:47:52 BST 2009

On Tue, 2009-05-05 at 20:45 +0100, Dmitrijs Ledkovs wrote:
> I have a spare laptop working as a file server.
>
> I was thinking to convert it into nightly build machine straight from
> upstream VCS to check my packaging and spot checks as as possible.
>
> I would want to do checkout, bzr bd merge-upstream, pbuilder (jaunty,
> karmic, sid), licensecheck lintian are part of the pbuilder and
> automatic local apt.
>
> Did anyone had experience setting something like that up? I don't know
> any cron yet.
>
> The main bits I'm not quite sure is how to manage buildlogs,
> automaticly delete old debs and do email notifications of build
> success / failure.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

Hi,

I've been working on a tool to do the automation part of this for the
past few months. I haven't made much noise about it yet because it is
under-documented, but it shouldn't be too hard to figure out what to
do.

You can find the tool at

  https://launchpad.net/bzr-builder

and a team that I formed to host some PPAs at

  https://launchpad.net/~dailydebs-team

e.g.

  https://launchpad.net/~dailydebs-team/+archive/bzr-builder

for a PPA of itself generated by itself.

You can see the recipes that I use at

  https://code.launchpad.net/~dailydebs-team/bzr-builder/cookbook

There's a bit more work needed to make it something that you can
throw in cron with no thought, but it's almost there.

If you are interested then some help doing that would be great,
or help in increasing the number of projects in PPAs for that
team. I have a few that I want to host, but if others have some
projects they want to add then we can share knowledge on the best
way to do it.

Thanks,

James